Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Welcome to the D.C. Bar Connect, our online forum that lets you connect with your peers. By joining and participating, you are agreeing to follow the rules set out below. Please take some time to review them and then please join the discussions. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of fellow Bar members, benefit from their experiences, and participate in ongoing conversations about the latest advances in various practice areas.
In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, the D.C. Bar reserves the right to suspend or terminate the participation of anyone who violate these rules. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
D.C. BAR CONNECT – GUIDELINES for PARTICIPATION
• Do not attack other participants. The discussions and comments hosted on this platform are meant to stimulate conversation and even debate, but not to create contention.
• Do not post commercial messages. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
• Use caution when discussing products. Information posted here is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, intellectual property and antitrust laws.
• Defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, illegal or offensive messages are strictly prohibited.
• Please note carefully—and abide by—all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below.
• Post your messages and documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not “spam” several lists or libraries with the same message.
• All messages must add to the body of knowledge. The D.C. Bar reserves the right to reject any message that degrades the value of this service to its members.
• Use your full name. You cannot post anonymously.
• State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
• Only send a message to the entire community when it contains information that could be beneficial to most members.
• Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. You can do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
• Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list.” Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
D.C. BAR CONNECT - DISCLAIMER and LEGAL RULES
This site is provided as a service for the members of District of Columbia Bar. The D.C. Bar is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the D.C. Bar or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the D.C. Bar be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the D.C. Bar and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The D.C. Bar does not actively moderate this site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the D.C Bar, we will take all appropriate action.
The D.C. Bar reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these Guidelines for Participation and Legal Rules.